- 4 cups cooked chick peas (garbanzo beans) or 2 ea. 15 oz. cans drained and rinsed
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, chopped
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup garbanzo / fava bean flour or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of cayenne
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- EVOO or coconut oil
Ingredients for the lemon-tahini sauce:
- 3/4 cup sesame tahini
- 6 Tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 medium clove of garlic, minced or crushed
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups water – depending on the thickness you desire
- Salt to taste
- Handful of parsley, minced
- Cayenne to taste
Instructions for falafels:
- Place all ingredients except the flour in a food processor and puree
- Add the flour and stir until combined
- If baking, scoop batter (small golf-ball sizes) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or silicon sheets, and flatten with a fork (like making cookies). Brush liquid coconut or olive oil over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, turning half-way through.
- If frying, heat coconut oil in a frying pan and add the small golf-ball sized batter, flattened. Fry until golden brown on each side, adding a small amount of extra oil, if needed, and drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
Instructions for lemon-tahini sauce:
- Place tahini, lemon juice, parsley, garlic and seasonings in a food processor or blender and process.
- Drizzle in the water until you have the consistency you desire
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Transfer to jar or bowl and refrigerate until ready to use
Serve in pita bread with the lemon-tahini sauce, sliced cucumbers, pickles, tomatoes, and shredded lettuce. Enjoy!