Engine 2 Diet: NY Times Veggie Burgers with Onions and Mushrooms
Here is an excellent recipe from the Engine 2 Diet Cookbook:
We’ve added carmelized onions and mushrooms on top for a tastey variation.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can tomatoes with zesty mild chilies drained (or use sliced jalapenos from a jar)
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup parsley or cilantro
- 2 cups quick rolled oats (regular will work too)
- 8 whole grain buns
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- Fresh veggie toppings and healthy condiments
- Preheat oven to 450º. Process the first seven ingredients using an immersion or a regular blender or food processor. Remove contents into a large bowl and stir in the oats. Form into patties, place on a sprayed baking sheet, and bake for 8 minutes.
- While baking, saute the onions in extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for 2-3 minutes adding hot water if they start sticking to the pan. Then add the mushrooms, cooking until they’ve released their juices and the water is absorbed.
- Turn oven up to broil and cook for 2 more minutes, until the tops are nicely browned. Toast the buns and pile on the onions and mushrooms.
- Variation: Sauté the burgers on medium heat in a sprayed nonstick skillet for 5 minutes on each side, until both sides are browned.
Enjoy with sweet potato fries http://engine2diet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Sweet-Potato-Fries.pdf and steamed broccoli.