Vegan Bran Muffins with Seeds and Raisins
Courtesy of Linda Gass
These muffins are packed with protein and nutrients. Great to take on hikes or just to keep on hand for breakfast and snacks.
NOTE: Requires preparation the night before (the secret to moist whole wheat muffins)
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran or oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or combine whole wheat with buckwheat and oat flour)
- 2 TBS ground flax seeds
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 1 TBS white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 TBS sunflower seeds. toasted
- 2 TBS pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 TBS poppy seeds
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- 1 TBS hemp seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 TBS shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pureed butternut squash or chopped apple
- Combine flour, bran, flax & chia seeds, almond milk and vinegar in large mixing bowl. Cover and leave overnight at room temperature.
- Pour boiling water over the dates, enough to cover them and soak overnight.
- Combine the remaining seeds, nuts, raisins and coconut in a bowl. Set aside.
- Next day: preheat oven to 350° F and lightly grease nonstick muffin cups with oil.
- Drain and reserve water from dates and place dates in food processor. Puree dates adding the reserve water a little at a time to create a smooth paste. Mix the date puree and the vanilla with the flour mixture.
- Sift baking soda & baking powder over flour mixture. Add all remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. This isn’t a finicky batter so don’t worry about overmixing.
- Distribute batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm or cool completely on the rack. Muffins can be frozen and reheated.