By Kathy Parnay
This Menu Guide was created in response to the many requests for detailed information about how to follow a healing diet similar to our experience curing Stefan’s cancer.
Important information to consider before beginning:
- Find a holistic nutritionist who has experience with your type of illness, can monitor your progress and help you determine the correct supplements and dosages you need. If you do not have access to a nutritionist, ask your physician for advice. It will be important that you have regular blood tests to monitor your nutrient levels as your body adjusts to your new diet.
It’s best not to self prescribe supplements. Although they seem safe, understanding potential toxicity levels, in addition to the right dosage and combination is critical. Some nutrients are better absorbed if taken in combination or absence of specific other nutrients; some require to be taken with food; and others on an empty stomach. A professional will also better understand the relationship between specific vitamins and any medications you are currently taking. All this is important in order to ensure that everything you put into your body effectively supports your healing process.
- Consult with your physician. Encourage him/her to help monitor your progress. Because each of our health conditions and physical needs are unique, we recommend working closely with your physician as you begin to make these major changes to your diet, especially if you are currently taking any medications. Ask your physician to order regular blood tests to monitor your nutrient levels as your body adjusts to your new diet.
- Your current state of health was not created overnight. It took time for your body to get to the point it is right now. So please be patient. The healing power of food is amazing, but it takes time as your body adjusts to the concentration of healthy foods and lack of toxic processed ingredients.
- Do not be surprised if, as your body begins to heal and detoxify, that you feel sicker for a brief period of time. As your body begins releasing the toxins you may experience cold-like symptoms, exhaustion, sweats, etc. This does not mean you are getting worse, but that your body is beginning to release the disease. If you stay the course, you will feel healthier then you have been in a long time.
- Since this diet is very low in calories and fat, it is crucial that you eat larger amounts and more often and do not miss a meal, even your morning, afternoon or evening snacks. It is also critical that you consume healthy fats from the Low Glycemic Alkaline Food List several times a day. Your body needs the regular infusion of nutrients and calories or a significant nutrient deficiency and unhealthy weight loss can occur.
- Don’t be surprised if you are now eating triple the amount of fresh produce you are used to. Stock up each week to ensure you have plenty available. Fill your fridge and pantry with items from the Low Glycemic Alkaline Food List.
- It is important to avoid sugar (even from fruit), meat, dairy, processed foods, and grains (including rice and wheat); all are very acidic. Even eating a small amount of acidic foods will make it much harder for you to raise your pH.
- Remember, this very strict diet is only temporary. Once you have regained your health, you may begin to slowly expand your diet to include other healthy vegan foods.
- A word about flatulence. For the first few months, as your body acclimates to the increase in fiber and nutrients, you may experience excessive bloating and flatulence. Over time, this will lesson significantly. If you are feeling exceptionally uncomfortable, speak to your nutritionist about slowly adding probiotics to your supplement regiment.
- As you begin this diet you will notice a change in frequency and texture of your bowel movements. As your body works towards getting rid of the toxic load from your unhealthy eating habits and acclimating to the increased fiber, you will most likely experience softer and more frequent movements. Don’t worry, this is normal and will settle down overtime.
Now that you understand the process, let’s begin. In an effort to better organize the information, we have created separate webpages for each meal. For optimal success, please review each page in order to fully incorporate the diet into your daily eating habits.